IronNation

No-nonsense Weightlifting, Bodybuilding and Fitness Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Go long, or go hard? Or just go home?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm 

So here's my problem: if and when I train, because it's rare (mostly coz I suck at it), I will work my ass off. But I have very little cardiovascular and muscular stamina. While I will hit the heavy bag until I can physically no longer lift my arms, I don't know whether I should:

Go for a shorter class, work 100% from the start, and drop out when I can't keep going, or
Go to a longer class for better value for money, and half ass it to get through the whole session, hoping the increased duration will provide the benefits of a shorter but harder burst
Go to the shorter class but only work 75% or so of full intensity to get a good workout, but not destroy myself?

Last time I worked out was a couple of weeks back, I went to boxercise. I did the best I could until I reached a point where I felt I might throw up if I kept going full pelt, so I had to halfass it from there (especially since they started doing a FUCKTON of burpees, which would have destroyed me whether I was at the point of nausea or not.)

I feel so false when I have to cut back on my effort, but I absolutely hate having to drop out of a class because I'm just out of energy :/ It was bad enough taking a break in kettlebells, I feel so pathetic. I want to be challenged but every existing class seems obsessed with an absolutely hellish dose of squats and pressups, or enough cardio to make me need a lift rather than walk the half-mile back home :/ I'm thinking of sticking to just home workouts and the dancing, where I can slow down and speed up as I need to without feeling like I'm holding up my partner/not following instructions, or it's low intensity that I can actually enjoy it.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: Go long, or go hard? Or just go home?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm 

you should work out more often, actually. only way to build up the work capacity to train through the soreness is to try to train through the soreness. you can quite easily build up to daily training over a month or two, and then just regulate the intensity depending on how you feel.

basically go to the one you want, but go as often as you can, and when you get used to it, start doing stuff when you're not going.

*dances naked*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 pm 

The soreness isn't an issue, I just lack the steam to make it through an hour of going full pelt, so I don't enjoy it and don't get my money's worth :(

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:02 pm 

same thing applies. train more often.

*dances naked*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm 

Yeah, nothing will give you more endurance other than endurance training. Go 2 -3 times a week. Even if you start at 50%. The next week go 55% and so on. Go often and push yourself to do a little more each time.. If people not in shape could do the class all out right away the people who have been there for a while wouldn't be getting any thing out of it. It's normal to have to progress over time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 pm 

Your best bet is not necessarily to train several times a week but rather to mix up the intensities a bit. Take a marathon running plan. You may run a couple times a week but out of those only one will be for a very long distance (anywhere from 10-20 miles depending on where you're at in the plan). Sometimes they'll do shorter runs of only a couple of miles but at a faster clip or with intervals. Other times they'll hit the hills and run a moderate mileage. This isn't short-changing yourself but rather training intelligently.

Using my bagwork as an example - sometimes I'll just pick a few rounds and go at it for fun to try to work on new combinations. Other times I'll just pick a set number of reps (e.g. 200 strong roundhouse kicks with each leg) and do them until I reach my goal. Other times I'll use a timer and do rounds of 60 sec of all out intensity (non-stop striking) with a minute in between for rest. I typically do each one of these workouts in a week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am 
Forum Mod

How is your diet as well?? I am sorta surprised none of you guys asked him that! Unless of course I missed something haha ;P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Admin

A LOT of great responses here. I think you're mixing problems together though.

Bottom line is you can only do what you can do. There's no need to feel inadequate or pathetic as you put it. That pressure and self loathing are counter productive and ugly. No one walks into a class, out of condition, and rocks it without first adapting to the demands that class places on you. No one. Congratulations, you're just like the rest of us.

The way you overcome that is through CONSISTENT EXERCISE. Once every few weeks or as the mood strikes wont get you anywhere, really. It may keep you from becoming FURTHER out of condition, but it wont help you make a lick of progress. You need regular, structured exercise. Get a day planner, or use your PC. And pick three non-consecutive days a week on which to exercise. Write the exercises you have to do in the planner and then force yourself to do it no matter what. No excuses, no exceptions. Hell, you can write your schedule here and we can all hold you accountable!

Here's the trick though. No session should be more than 30 minutes right now and no session should be so demanding that it leaves you destroyed. Not yet. Not at this stage. You'll get far more out of moderate endurance regularly than destroying yourself and encountering further discouragement.

Even in classes, you have every right to monitor your activity level. In many ways you're just a beginner, Dan. Respect that. Be honest with yourself in both your level of exhaustion, but also in terms of your ability. If you feel worn out, but know you can give a little bit more realistically, then do so. If you feel worn out but know you're spent, take a break.

No one gets in shape NOW. It doesnt happen in a single class or a dozen classes and it doesnt happen by beating yourself into the ground, or beating yourself UP, either.

Patience, honesty and discipline are the buses you need to catch to get to where you're going :)

Old Guys RULE!!

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 am 

Whether you want to lose the extra-pounds, or just stay in shape, always remember that it is more important to have a quality workout than to have a long one. However, you should try to progressively increase the time spend on your working out.

Profile Visit website