IronNation

No-nonsense Weightlifting, Bodybuilding and Fitness Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 pm

»

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: Balanced diet and variety
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:50 pm 

Is it NECESSARY to have a varied diet, if you're getting all your nutrients? I tend to live on salad, omelette, meat, and mixed veg. Occasionally I'll have curry and rice, and I try to eat at least one apple and orange a day (usually two of each, and I just bought a load of pears and some bananas. Woot for overdraft :P) I try to limit my bread intake to two rounds of toast and the occasional sandwich (with wholemeal bread), or occasionally a salad roll if I'm out all day (tends to be white bread, which I disapprove of, but Greggs kinda sucks.) Should I be trying to mix things up more? I don't know much about veg and I'm fussy with new foods, especially since I tried avocado, which tasted like and had the texture of exactly how I imagine having someone shit in my mouth would be :P

tl;dr version: I eat a reasonably healthy diet with mixed veg and fruit and minimal processed stuff, should I be mixing it up more or keep up what I'm doing coz it's healthy?

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: Balanced diet and variety
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Admin

I meant to answer this last night but subsequently forgot. Sorry Danimal.

I think it really depends on what you're going for. If all you're asking is whether a diet comprised of those things is relatively healthy, then I'd say yes -with the caveat that I don't really know more than you're telling me (such as portion sizes, frequency of eating, etc). But at first blush, nothing jumps out at me that would make me say STOP!

btw, when you say omlette, what do you put on/in it? Cheese? Veggies? Meats? How many eggs? Do you use milk?

But, if your goals are more inline with increasing muscle or dropping fat, then I'd say there are some changes we could probably make.

Although, it occurs to me, that with your diabetes you might want to reach out to Art. He has a fair bit of knowledge on the subject since he's had to wrestle with it himself. He might be the better resource.

Old Guys RULE!!

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm 

Omelettes range between 3 to 6 eggs (had nine eggs once but that was only out of curiosity, and definitely a one off lol I was like cool Hand Luke up in dat bitch, it wasn't pretty xD), usually I go with four. I generally only use a spoon of butter to lubricate the pan to prevent it sticking as it burns (I like it browned), I never add cheese. I might have a small squirt of ketchup on it. I don't use milk.

Portion sizes, um... Usually a full plateful of the mixed veg, with four fish fingers, two chicken breasts, or a handful of diced meat. That kind of thing. I try to pile on the veg coz I don't find it that filling compared to crap food, for some reason (I'm talking about physically actually filling, not psychologically filling as junk food can be) and with salad I'll easily use up a cucumber in one sitting, half a dozen tomatoes, a jar of beetroot and half a lettuce :P Salads have to be huge to fill me unless I have a baked potato or something with them, which I tend not to do because the carbs content of baked potatoes is still difficult for me to accurately estimate, so my sugars tend to go wrong if I eat potatoes. on the plus side for the same reason I never eat chips/fries. I also don't touch pizza or pastries anymore.

As for goals, at the moment it's just eating a healthy balanced diet, get the nutrients I need, and not eat excessive carbs or calories so I lose weight at some rate.

My main concern is that the body sort of "gets used to it," like it does if you don't mix up your workout, and it somehow stops working, yknow what I mean?

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, so what you're calling Omlette, is pretty much just scrambled eggs here. Omlettes here come with "stuff" which is what separates them from just eggs. Like a Denver Omlette has peppers, onions, ham and cheese for example. I asked about the milk because some folks say it makes the eggs fluffier if you mix that in while you scramble. I don't add it for eggs but will for omlettes because it thins the eggs a little which helps if you're folding it over fixins like cheese.

4 eggs (say large) will have 6 grams of protein each so thats 24 grams. Nice! If you could add a half cup of oats to that meal you'd have a great meal. Fair amount of protein, some carbs for energy and to help keep you full for a bit.

As far as dinner/Salads go. Thats a LOT of food to consume just in terms of mass. Not caloricaly necessary, but 6 tomatoes as well as a half head of lettuce and a whole cucumber is 1) a LOT of acid and 2) a great bit of stuff to store in your stomach as it digests. Stretch out your stomach and it takes far more to make you feel full and it will cause you to have that sort of paunchy look.

What you eat is pretty decent in terms of quality, but I think you might want to try smaller meals more frequently. Less per sitting, but more sittings per day. It can make a HUGE difference in terms of blood sugar levels too as you dont have the rush and dip problem since you have a steady influx of food.

Old Guys RULE!!

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

TheAngriestHippie wrote:

My main concern is that the body sort of "gets used to it," like it does if you don't mix up your workout, and it somehow stops working, yknow what I mean?

As to this point, your body doesnt need the same stimulus in terms of food as it does in terms of exercise. In fact, a steady diet is actually good for the body. When people change diets often it can play hell on the body in that it has to adjust constantly to the new needs for digestion. Like when people switch from softer diets of say, processed foods, to diets containing a lot of fresh lean red meat, they can often suffer from indigestion/heart burn because their body isnt used to digesting anything as tough (to digest) as fresh red meat. So it takes a while before it gets the right amount of stomach acid for the job.

Problem is, right about that time, most people change their diet to avoid the heart burn and now their stomach needs to adjust again. So for a while, your stomach is just decimating the simple carbs you eat with WAY TOO MUCH acid.

When I was training to compete I ate the exact same thing every day. Well, thats not true. Some days I would substitute my baked SWEET potato for a baked REGULAR potato. Lol....

Old Guys RULE!!

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 pm 

By choosing only foods from the healthy food list and using it as your guide, you can strengthen your immune system, stamina and endurance, lose weight, reduce physical stress and protect yourself from painful diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and Alzheimer's. As our lifestyle is changing very fast, we hardly have the time to ascertain the quality of food we take everyday. Eat preferably organic diet and avoid junk foods. This is really affective for improving fitness.

Profile Visit website  

»